May 25, 2012

Coleman has arrived

Coleman Clint Spencer arrived on Monday April 23rd, 4 days early.  After being told many times that he would probably come early, I had given up on the idea of having him before I was induced.  Well due to him measuring small starting at 32 weeks, and never catching up to where he was supposed to be, I was sent to the perinatologist to make sure that everything was going ok.  I was told that he was measuring small, and that we should do non-stress tests until he decided to come. So starting at 38 weeks we started doing non-stress tests once a week.  At our first stress test, Coleman didn't respond at first but I hadn't really eaten for the day so I had a cookie and we waited.  He still didn't respond so they used this funny little gadget t hat vibrates and makes noise up against my belly to see if it would wake him up.  It did the trick and we got the results we needed to tell us he was happy and healthy.  At that appointment I was only dialated to a one which was kind of a bummer. I wanted to go early so badly.  Well for the next week, I didn't feel him move as much as I normally did, and I kept having false labor signs that made me nervous.  I brushed them off because I still was feeling him so I figured all was well.  At our 39 week non-stress test I made sure I ate right before my appointment to ensure that the non-stress test would be reactive.  I was hooked up to the machines, the nurse did and ultrasound, and we waited the 20 minutes.  Coleman was being stubborn and wasn't responding so we waiting a littlelonger to see if he would wake up or see if there were any accelerations.  The nurse left the room and said she would be back in about 10 minutes.  After about 20, Clint and myself  were starting to get annoyed because we thought it was silly to just sit in this room forever.  The nurse finally came back in and said that they wanted to watch me for another 10 minutes to see if there were any accelerations, she used the same funny little noise maker against my belly and also told me that  they had seen some calcifications on my placenta in the ultrasound.  At this point I was starting to get a little concerned because they seemed to be acting a little worried themselves.  After a few more minutes the nurse came in and said that they were sending me over to the hospital to deliver the baby right now.  Me being an emotional pregnant woman freaked, the nurse left the room and I started bawling.  I can honestly say at  that moment I was the most scared I have been since my dad died.  WHen the nurse returned, she saw that they way she delivered the news had scared me and she did her best to try and get me to stop crying. At that point it was a lost cause.  Well we went straight over to Utah Valley hospital, got checked in, hooked up to the fetal monitor and the doctor came in to discuss what our plan of action was. The plan was to try and induce me using cytotec and probably have the baby early the next morning. Over the next 3 hours Colemans heartrate kept dropping down as low as the 60's to 70's and would stay there.  The doctor came in to talk to me at about 7:00 and told me that he saw a C-section as the possible delivery method due to the stress on the baby.  He gave me the option of trying a vaginal birth if it wasn't going to cause further stress on the baby.  He decided to check me to see if I have dialated further.  I was still at a 1 so he said a c-section it was since I was not dialating with the cytotec.  So about 10 minutes later the anesthesiologist was giving me my epidural, and we were off to surgery. Coleman was born at 8:30, looking healthy and ended up not being too small like they said.  He weighed in at 6 pounds 10 ounces. It was such a gratifying  feeling finally having him here and him being healthy.  They showed him to me quickly and took him away while the doctors finished with me. These are a few pics of him immediately after.


 

1 comments:

Travis+Amber Lowder said...

WOW Morgan what a great post, your little man is so handsome and yoou have such a cute family!!! Love all your posts you have been doing. by the way you look great in the hospital!!!!!